Monday, January 23, 2006

If it ain't broke...

So I teach the 7 and 8-year olds at church. Yesterday we had an intense competition between the senior primary kids and the teachers in "Sing that Tune." The game was played very similar to Name that Tune. The pianist would play some of a primary song and whichever team whose turn it was had to determine what song it was and then offer to sing as much of the song as they thought they could. If they didn't think they could sing the whole song, then the other team had a chance to do so. And here's the kicker, you had to have at least one person on your team who could sing it word for word - no mistakes.

We had a wonderful time and by the time church was over the score was 4-3 kids leading the adults. Thankfully (for the leaders) the competition will continue to next week, so we will have a chance to redeem ourselves.

This is where my competitive streak comes in. I went straight home and pulled out our Primary songbook and starting looking over all of the songs to refresh my memory.* It's been nearly 16 years since I've been in Primary, so I've had lots of time for the lyrics to become hazy. And to add to it, they've added new songs since I was in primary as well.

But here is the worst part about the competition. When they came out with the new Primary songbook in 1989, they changed some of the lyrics of songs. That's right! All of those lyrics I sang as a child have been mangled with and altered - and in some cases it seems - for no apparent reason.

Take the Chapel Doors. You all remember it...

The Chapel Doors seem to say to me, SHHHH be still.
For this is a reverent place to be, SHHHH be still.
There are many things we can do outside, we laugh, we play and we romp and slide...
But when we come to the chapel doors, SHHHH be still.

Apparently, it was decided that mentioning all of the fun things we do outside had to go. Because now that line has been replaced with

We gather here on the Sabbath day to learn of Jesus, to sing, and pray.

Maybe they thought singing about romping and sliding would encourage the kids to actually romp and slide in primary, though the song clearly says that we do that outside not inside. Nevertheless the song has been changed, putting me at a disadvantage in the Sing that Tune game.

Another example and by far, I think the worst offense yet. They didn't just change a line or two, they changed practically the entire verse!

Genealogy - I am doing it, my genealogy.
And the reasons why I am doing it are very clear to me.
I will read my book of remembrance, I'll write my history.
It's a record of my family - my genealogy

People leaving now and the ones who've died are on my pedigree
And someday I'll meet everyone of them, I'm sure as I can be
Oh what joy we'll have when they say to me, We're all a family
I am yours and you are mine now through all eternity.

It's a wonderful one. Who doesn't love singing - genealogy, I am doing it? Well, this is how it reads now... (changes in italics)

Family history - I am doing it, my family history
And the love I feel when I'm doing it is very sweet to me
I learn stories of my progenitors, I write their history
I keep records of my loved ones on my own family tree

Family living now and the ones who've died can all be sealed to me
And someday I'll meet every one of them, I'm sure as I can be
Oh what joy we'll have when they say to me, "We're all a family"
"I am yours and you are mine now, thought all eternity."

Ok, so they really mainly mangled the first verse. But first, why the change to family history as opposed to genealogy? At first I thought it was because genealogy is kind of a big word, but then they threw in progenitors. Come on folks, why are we making 3-year-olds sing the word progenitors? Beyond that, I guess there really isn't anything wrong with the new lyrics, but my point is that there really wasn't anything wrong with the OLD lyrics either. So why the change? In this world of changing values and swaying moral standards, I need stability, I need to know that some things never change - things like lyrics the primary songs I learned so long ago. But alas, it's not so and now I'm at a complete disadvantage when it comes to Sing that Tune next week. Life is unfair.

*There really does need to be a post about my insatiable competitive drive that flares up way too often, but this is not it.

2 comments:

Matt Astle said...

At least the changed Primary songs are still grammatically correct, unlike the changed BYU fight song: "Loyal, strong and true wear the white and blue"??!?!? Loyal strong and true WHAT? Stalwart men, that's what.

Rosalie Erekson Stone said...

Shelley, I think it's great that you are trying to keep up with the children in learning all the words to the Primary songs, and I can see why you wonder about some of the changes. I think that the "Genealogy" word was changed mostly because the Church has changed across the board to the term "Family History." We also don't use the term "Book of Remembrance" the way we used to because we are now using computers. Newer members (especially those outside the U.S.) may never see one of those older, rectangular books with names typed in, or even handwritten, on the forms!
MarkButler, IMO although the original line was good, since it was a living prophet who suggested a change from "know" to "do" it is understandable that the the author would be happy to accept the change. She apparently wrote the newer fourth verse some twenty years later. I have never heard it sung, but it has a wonderful message.