I watched the State of the Union last night. Matt asked me..."Do you always watch the state of the union?" My reply "Pretty much." If I don't watch it live I watch it online the next day. Why? Because it's good to be informed. Plus it's fun to watch for my favorite and least favorite Congressmen (only a former Capitol Hill worker would say that).
Here are some of my initial responses from the speech.
Social security - the Dems thought they were really funny when they cheered the fact that Congress hasn't passed Pres Bush's social security bill. I think it made them look incredibly irresponsible. I'm just saying social security is really screwed up, it's never gonna be there when I'm 60. Every time I get the letter in the mail telling me about my "account", I LAUGH OUT LOUD. The fact that many politicians seem to completely oppose changing social security really makes me mad. I'm not saying I'm totally for Bush's proposal. I don't know it well enough, but come on folks, it's a problem, do something about it.
Wiretapping - you know, I can't get all upset over wiretapping for the purpose of national security. I really haven't paid too much attention to this issue, but from what I understand, Bush has allowed national security officials to eavesdrop on suspected terrorists in the US without a warrant. I say go for it. Frankly, I wouldn't mind if they eavesdropped on me. I've got nothing to hide. And if it helps stop anything like September 11th, I wholly support it. I was on Capitol Hill on September 11th, I will never forget that day and I never want to live through it again.
Democrat response - traditionally the opposing party has one of their members deliver a response to the President's state of the union address. I didn't listen too well to this year's speech but I thought the choice of having Governor Kaine deliver it was interesting. Governor Kaine is my new governor from Virginia. He's brand spanking new, elected in November 2005, four days after my daughter Ellie was born. Why choose such a rookie to respresent the whole party? It's not like it's a dumb idea, I just thought it was an interesting choice, maybe not one I would make.
That's it for now. If I think of other things, I will add another post.
No comments:
Post a Comment