Saturday, September 16, 2006

It's the little things that matter most

Sometimes the smallest things have incredibly BIG impact. Right now I'm thinking about the little things that my husband, Matt, does on a daily basis that really help me have a good day.

Every morning he wakes up with Ellie - changes her diaper, feeds her, and watches her while he eats his breakfast - just so I can get an additional 1/2 hour of sleep. And on top of that, he washes all of her bottles (by hand) every morning.

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate this. Somehow it makes the whole day go better - just to get that little extra sleep and to see all the bottles washed and filled up with pre-measured water so all I have to do is add powder formula when Ellie gets hungry.

This past Thursday, Matt was in upstate New York for the day. He actually left Wednesday night, which meant that I had to get up with Ellie Thursday morning. Not that I didn't appreciate it before, but his absence reinforced my appreciation for his kind daily service.* Such little things, but what a huge impact.

You love the ones you serve, but you also love the ones that serve you too. I still think that the key to a happy marriage is service. I just hope that I can serve Matt as much as he serves me.

*Matt is so wonderful that he even washed the bottles Wednesday night before he left. I'm such a lucky girl!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Wow!! I mean WOW!! Sounds like a nominee for Dad/Husband of the year!