Wednesday, September 20, 2006

The uncompromising compromise

In every marriage, you make compromises. Bringing two very different people from varying backgrounds and having them live together requires a little give and take. So of course, throughout our almost three years of marriage Matt and I have altered many of the ways we do things. However, there are a few instances where we have decided not to compromise. Most of them have to do with certain products, food or otherwise, that we simply cannot give up but the other does not like. So our compromise is to buy both of them. The following is a list of such examples.

We have....

  • two jars of PB - Matt likes crunchy, I like creamy
  • two gallons of milk - I drink skim, he drinks 1% (just wait until Ellie needs whole, then we'll have three different kinds of milk on hand)
  • two tubes of toothpaste - Matt likes Colgate, I like the cheapo brand ultrabrite*
  • two kinds of shampoo - I use Finesse, Matt uses Suave.**
  • several boxes of cereal - Matt has his favorites and I have my favorites, many of them we both eat, but not all
  • cheese slices for me (processed cheese product), and real off-the-block cheese for Matt

There are probably more instances, I just can't think of them right now. So there you. It's perhaps a little strange, but hey, it doesn't bother us at all and we both get what we want. And isn't that what compromise is all about?

*I'm not opposed to Colgate by any means, but I don't mind the ultrabrite and it's significantly cheaper, so why not? Over the life of our marriage the four bucks a year I save by buying cheaper toothpaste will allow us to have a nice dinner at a fancy restaurant, dang it.

**This time it's Matt that is saving us some money.

1 comment:

Matt Astle said...

You forgot quilts. During the spring and fall, I have a separate quilt that I pull over my side of the bed so I can be all cozy while you freeze.