Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Snowpocalypse 2010

Wow. I mean wow. I can't believe how much snow there is outside my house. It started with an incredible amount of snow falling starting Friday evening and continuing through Saturday night. Matt measured 25 inches on our deck!

Matt's parents got here just in time to get snowed in with us. His mother hasn't left our house since she walked in a week ago. Matt hasn't been to work since Thursday, though he has done some work from home, or course. Fortunately, I was able to get to the store before the storm started and I got all of the groceries we would need for the next several days.

Matt and his dad spent several hours on Sunday digging both of our cars out of the snow. The plowers in our subdivision did a much better job than last December in plowing the snow. It took a bobcat to pile the snow some 10 feet high to get it out of the road. It was quite a spectacle, the whole neighborhood was out shoveling when it happened. Kind of fun to watch.

The snow is so heavy and deep, it reminds me of growing up on Indiana -walking down narrow sidewalks with three feet of snow on either side, digging snow forts and tunnels, sledding down hills. It's just crazy.

Of course, church was cancelled for the second week in a row. Between having Leah and the two snow days, I've been to church once in six weeks. We were going to bless Leah on Sunday, but that didn't get to happen. We're trying to figure out when we are going to do it.

And as if one big storm wasn't enough, just as the city began recovering, another big storm has hit! Snowfall started last night and is still coming down. This time, we haven't had as much snow, maybe only 8 inches, but the wind is strong and cold and there's more danger of losing power.

Everything has been closed. The federal government has been closed all week. The metro isn't running above ground, meaning that our stop is unusable. The schools have been cancelled all week. One county nearby announced on Monday that school would be cancelled the entire of week, figuring there was no way anyone would make it. So far, our school district has been closed Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. I just checked the website and it looks like they've closed school for the rest of the week too.

And the airports have been crippled too. Matt's parents were supposed to fly out this morning. Their flight was cancelled. Now they are scheduled to fly out Saturday morning. My dad is supposed to fly in tomorrow afternoon. I really wonder when he'll actually get in.

Matt and I made a needed grocery run the night before the second storm hit. The first store we went to was out of milk, eggs and had very little bread. Is this what communist Russia was like? Fortunately, the second store we went to had those items.

I'm vacillating about how I feel about this series of storms. I'm not nearly as irritated by it as I was by the one we had in December - part of that is because I am no longer 9 months pregnant, it's been so bad that Matt hasn't got to work and thus has been around to help and also we have grandparents here too to help. So I don't feel as isolated and trapped. Plus so far the plowing has been better, meaning that I could get out if I wanted and that makes me happy. I still hate the snow, don't get me wrong. It's so cold and it's such a bother. But at least it's more bearable. But I'll tell you, it just reinforces my firm resolve to not live about the Mason-Dixon line. I really don't want to live in a place where this kind of snow is the norm. My sister in law, who lives in Alaska, emailed us to say that our snowfall is nothing compared to what they have in Alaska and she didn't see what all of the hubbub was about. While true, they certainly get more, but they definitely have much better equipment to deal with the snow than we do and besides, you couldn't get me to live in Alaska if your paid me (and I hear they do).

This is an incredibly long post that would have probably been cut up to a bunch of different posts, but I've felt bad about ignoring our company to blog. So I haven't been blogging all week. But here are some fun pictures of all of the snow we're had. I can't believe it. I'll post some pictures of the girls having fun in the snow later. Stay tuned!

Our deck after the first storm
The neighborhood after the first storm
A pretty tree in our backyard
My car dug out
An early morning picture of the second storm

5 comments:

JoJo said...

It is INSANE, huh? I've actually discovered that I love the snow (as long as it's not ALL the time)... probably mostly because I've seen my husband more this week than I have in MONTHS! Classes were cancelled all week... woohoo... and I luckily had bought groceries in bulk, so we're doing good!

What store did you go to that was out of everything? I went to Giant and they had everything in stock, but the bread was way low, as were some other random items, like OJ. Who NEEDS OJ?

Anyway! Love to the fam. We're excited for Leah's blessing... hopefully soon!

http://ellament.blogspot.com

Mikelle said...

Craziness! It actually looks kinda fun to me. And it's always fun to be snowed in with family. And here I am in Utah with not a flake of snow on the ground and weather in the 40's....what is up?

Vickie said...

Oh my gosh! It's like a scene from Narnia (minus the talking animals). And here I've been getting tired of 40-60 degree weather and cold rain...

M said...

I hear ya--all this snow is insane!! DC just doesn't have the capacity to deal with it like they do in Colorado, Utah, or Alaska (for example). I am longing for spring.

Jill said...

you know, we lived in DC for over 5 years and apparently those were the only 5 years that didn't get pounded with snow... but, i'm not complaining. I'm diggin' my 70 degree weather today! Stay safe and I hope all family gets where they should be soon!