We started the day by taking advantage of our year passes to Mt. Vernon. They had a big to do going on as you might imagine. We watched some little girls washing clothes with lye in a bucket (Ellie was particularly entranced with this part and stayed there for almost an hour just watching them wash clothes),
looked at the animals (Annie really loved the sheep),
Then home for dinner and off to the military fort right by our house to watch the fireworks. We decided that Ellie was old enough to really appreciate the fireworks so we did actually venture out to see some. In the past, we have stayed home and watched fireworks on TV. I am a particular fan of watching the DC show, the NYC show, and the Boston show on TV all in succession. In fact, I made sure to record it on our DVR this year so I could watch it later, which I did and it was wonderful.
While the fireworks at Fort Belvoir weren't all that remarkable, they were good enough, Ellie loved them. Poor Matt and Ellie waited in a hour long line to buy a funnel cake, which was very tasty, but still probably not worth the hour long wait required to actually buy it. The best part was that it took us no more than 15 minutes to get home. In fact, when we said goodnight to the girls and shut their bedroom door only 20 minutes had passed since the last firework had boomed. It was wonderful. We may go there every year.
To wrap up our celebration, the next day I made a flag cake which was really tasty.
To wrap up our celebration, the next day I made a flag cake which was really tasty.
No comments:
Post a Comment