So here's a puzzler for you, valued reader. Both Matt and I have been thinking off and on about what we are going to name our new baby, even though we don't know the gender yet. We have some names on a short list and we've even got a few ground rules. For instance, one of the ground rules is that Matt would like to make sure that if we have another girl, we don't want to give her a name that ends with the "ee" sound. We figure Shelly, Ellie and Annie is enough. So I've been mulling over tons of non-"ee" names - ones that end in "n" or "a" or something else.
But here's something else to consider. Many of you may not know it, but each of our girls names is in the title of a song. Ellie's full name is Elise, hence Fur Elise by Beethoven. And Annie is Annie's Song by John Denver. We didn't exactly plan to do that, but we were aware of the songs when we chose the names and we do actually sing the songs to the girls, particularly Annie's Song. I like it because it's not something that is overly obvious about our girls' names. I'm sure most folks don't notice it. But it's something a little special for them.
So if this next baby is a girl, I kind of feel like we should at least try to think of names that have songs associated with them, even if we don't use them, just in case there's one we love. Problem is I can't think of one I really like. It's kind of difficult, because I want it to be a song I already really like. It has to be a style of music I like and that is sweet, not rock or rap or something like that. And it would be great if the name didn't end in "ee".
The only one I've thought of that I do like is "Maria" from West Side Story. I actually do really like the song. But unlike Fur Elise and Annie's Song, Maria says the name "Maria" over and over and over and gets a little out of hand. While the names Elise and Annie are never actually sung in the their respective songs, they are just part of title. So if we want to put that restriction on it, then we've really narrowed our options. I can't think of any other song that has a girl's name in the title but it is not in the actual song. (Matt claims there's a Simon and Garfunkel song with Emily in the title, but I don't know it, so that won't work).
So there you go folks. If you think of anything, let me know. I'm not sure we'll even do the song thing. We'll probably let it go. But if we can think of one - maybe that will be the name. Then again if we end up having boy, it won't really matter.
10 comments:
Easy. Sweet Melissa.
;-)
The song is "For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her," and the word "Emily" is never sung, although it's a haunting, pretty song. I am shocked that Shelly doesn't know it. But I don't think we're going to name our next daughter Emily.
There is a song called "Jenny Rebecca" by Barbra Streisand (I think). But then again, there is that 'e' sound at the end, unless you just call her by her full first and middle name . . .
Amanda Barry Manilow, I think... and Delilah (a more modern love song though and I don't know the artist)...what about boys?
This is a quiz game made for me!
Sweet Caroline
Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds
Jenny (867-5309)
Hey There Delilah (Plain White Tee's)(she could be called Lila)
What Sarah Said (Death Cab)(and a dozen other songs with Sarah in them)
Goodbye Alice in Wonderland (jewel)
On the Maria thing- don't forget there's also Sound of Music and Ave Maria!
Angelina (Bob Dylan) and it doesn't end in EE
Grace Kelly (Mika)
Cecilia (Simon and Garfunkle)
And here's a whole website with songs with names in the title!
http://www.songfacts.com/category:songs_with_girls%27_names_in_the_title.php
Good luck with this one!
Here is another website with girl names listed in the title of a song:
http://www.yeahbaby.com/girl-names.php?page=147
...and if you want to consider doing the same for a little boy, a link to song titles with boy names listed:
http://www.listology.com/list/songs-mens-names-title
Roxanne
Again - I told you that I'm Psychic. I had a dream that you're having a boy not a girl. I think you need to focus more on boy names. :)
Another one... though not from song (although I'm sure some are out there) - Reagan. You know you love it.
Could be for either boy or girl. Regardless, you'd call him/her "Gipper" ;-)
I say Amanda. I don't know the artist, but it is a great song. I will have to try to sing it for you. It ends in A too and if you decide that you like it ending in ee you could call her Mandy :)
This is Laura Bailey, just signed in as Jeff
Post a Comment