Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Currituck Lighthouse

Our beach house was very close to the Currituck Lighthouse. We had a great time checking it out our first day. But didn't climb it until Wednesday because that's when we finally bothered to get some cash since they don't accept credit card. Honestly, who carries cash? Or checks? I haven't carried my checkbook in years. Yet, those were the only forms of currency they accepted.

It turns out, and I have suspected this for years that I suffer from vertigo. I'm not kidding I was mildly freaking out as we climbed the narrow inside of the lighthouse. I have no idea when this all started. I remember two years ago when we hiked to the cave at Mt. Timp and I was literally HUGGING the mountainside. Well, I was similarly hugging the side of the lighthouse as we walked around the narrow outer part of the top. I didn't go near the fence. And was I grasping onto Ellie and Annie or demanding that Matt hold them tight the entire time.
I think my vertigo is extreme when I have my children with me. In my head, I understand that they are too big to fit through the bars, but I still just cannot handle the danger, as slight as it may be, that they might fall. I am sure I would have been much cooler and calm if I had been climbing only with other adults and not responsible for little people. I feel the same about Mt. Timp as well.
So for all of my fearless kayaking, I am a wimp when it comes to heights. Still, the view was wonderful. Just simply gorgeous and worth the climb, though I don't intend to go again with small children.
But here we are at the top, and I even managed a smile.

No comments: