I heard a couple of days ago that they ("the experts") have officially predicted the peak days for viewing the cherry blossoms that grace the Tidal Basin in Washington DC this coming spring. This prediction is done every year with more or less successful precision. This year, we are looking at the window of March 27th through April 1st as the best days for seeing the blossoms.
How excited am I? Very! I love the cherry blossoms. Like so many other things that make me love this place, it is uniquely Washington. They are beautiful, and they are only here.
Beyond that, they signify to me the wonderful arrival spring. We get little hints here and there - particularly this year with the mild winter we've had - but by the time the cherry blossoms come, spring will be in full swing. Yippie.
Lastly, I can't think of the cherry blossoms without thinking of four extraordinary women. During my single years living in DC, my dear roommates and I faithfully ran around the Tidal Basin each year at an alarmingly early hour to avoid the crowds. Not only was it a great workout, it was a wonderful bonding time.
This year, I want to make the run again. Hopefully I will be joined by a few of these former roomies who are still in the area. Can't wait for it.
No comments:
Post a Comment