Tuesday, March 28, 2006

March Madness Sadness

I'm totally hosed. Like the rest of the country, I joined a pool for the NCAA Championship this year. And I'll start off bragging and tell you that I have won the last two years in a row in the pools I've joined. So I was pretty confident that I would do well this year also.

So I joined a pool put together by a friend of mine who is obsessed with doughnuts and other such pastries on espn.com - http://games.espn.go.com/tcmen/group?groupID=32642

I filled out my bracket and awaited my imminent glory (I never put money on these things - too risky, besides, the glory of winning is always good enough for me).

Being a local Washingtonian, I even gave a nod to two of the three local teams playing the tournament - Georgetown, and my alma mater, George Washington. I figured there was simply no way that the other local school, George Mason was gonna get past the first game.

And of course, most of America agreed with me. Now, we see that we were ALL WRONG! George Mason is in the Final Four and my entire bracket is in shambles. I have only one team right in the Final Four (UCLA) and I predicted that they would be beat by Duke - which was the school I picked to win it all.

Now I need to come to terms with the fact that I have totally lost this year. I am in 7th place in the pool currently. It's impossible for me to go any higher. My reign is waning. In a little while it will all be a sad memory. My only comfort is that at least I beat Matt (With Sprinkles).

Go George Mason!

1 comment:

Matt Astle said...

But man, my first round was AWESOME. I smoked everyone. It's just the posterior rounds that I messed up on (and the fact that one of the six errors I made in the first 32 games was picking Michigan State to beat George Mason).