Saturday, March 11, 2006

Tylenol - the lifesaver

This week we went to Ellie's four-month appointment. Which means that she got four shots, just like her two-month appointment. I had been dreading this appointment ever since the last one. You see, at her two-month appointment she took the shots all right - she cried when she got them, but calmed down and we left the doctor's office happily. But the rest of the day she was miserable. She kept screaming and crying. She wouldn't let me put her down. I just held her as she cried, until she fell asleep, but of course she woke up wailing as soon as I tried to put her down, so I finally just accepted the fact that I was going to have to hold her the rest of the day. We eventually put her to bed that night and luckily by her 4am feeding she was happy and the shots were forgotten.

There was no way I wanted to go through the nightmare that was her post two-month appointment. Luckily, I chatted with an old roommate and now mother of two who suggested that I give Ellie a dose of Tylenol before we went to the doctor, that way it would have time to kick in before she got the shots. It worked like a charm. Of course, she cried during the shots, but she was absolutely fine afterwards. In fact, she was downright pleasant! Why didn't I think of it with the two-month appointment? Thank goodness I chatted with Rachel. She and baby tylenol are my lifesavers.

No comments: