Monday, July 10, 2006

Lady of Catan

While we were in Arizona we attended a family reunion for my Mom's side of the family. We had a wonderful time with great attendance. My family likes to stay in remote places for their reunions and mostly talk and play games. The game of choice (at least for me) this time was Settlers of Catan.

Matt and I are huge Settler fans, so of course we were excited about exhibiting our prowess at the reunion. We had been prepping for months - playing anyone who would take on the challenge. Somehow, banter began long before the reunion claiming that I was not only a Settlers fanatic, but also something about being somewhat invincible. I really do not know how the rumors started, but as such, I had outstanding expectations to live up to and let me tell you, I was a little concerned about losing such a great reputation.

So long before the reunion, we played several games with friends to get ourselves geared up for the festivities. I was on a roll for quite a while. But towards the last few weeks before our trip I began an ominous losing streak. Who can say what the cause of the downturn was - perhaps I was losing my style, alternately, we had introduced some friends to the game and they picked it up real quick and proved to be very proficient. Either way, I must admit that as the reunion approached my confidence wavered, considering my recent heavy losses.

But I came out fighting at the reunion and I am proud to say that I won every game of Settlers that was played.* Yes, folks that's right - at this point, I am the current reigning "Lady of Catan" in the Stevens family. You may all praise and honor.

I welcome a rematch at any time. I generally only need a moment's notice to get a game started.

* I did lose to Matt in Settlers of Zarahelma, a Mormon variation on Settlers of Catan, which was an ok game, but I felt that it was not too original and didn't offer much more than Catan.

No comments: