The one good thing that has come from our having carpenter ants* in our kitchen is that I have cleaned out my cupboards which were in desperate need of cleaning. We've only been in our house a year, yet I was surprised at how much dust and food particles had accumulated in our cupboards. But what was even more surprising was the expiration dates on some of the food items that were long since on their way out. I am ashamed to tell you what the expiration dates were on the following items - baking soda (two cans), baking powder (two boxes), and corn starch. All three items I use infrequently, nevertheless, I really should have let them go a long time ago. So sad.
I'm generally very good about stuff in the fridge, probably because everything in there is perishable and my short-term memory helps me keep track of what has to be eaten and what needs to be chucked. But something about food that lasts longer poses a challenge on my rotating skills. This is probably why I am a failure at food storage accumulation.
Oh well. Thanks to the ants, my cupboards are cleaner and contain no expired food and if the pest control company that we employed is any good, ant-free too!
* really BIG, nasty black ants that not only go after food but burrow and damage the wood of your house - yuck!
1 comment:
Don't be so hard on yourself! Next time, make Matt clean the cupboards ;)
Post a Comment