So we just got back from visiting my family in Arizona. My parents moved to the very western outskirts of Phoenix* last year. It's such a new area, there are hardly any stores around. However, they're in luck - there's a Walmart Supercenter only a few blocks away and can I tell you, I just love that store.
I know there are folks out there who hate Walmart and think it's the source of all evil. If that is you, that's fine. You have your opinion and I have mine. And mine is: I love Walmart and I wish this particular Walmart were near me. They have EVERYTHING there. There's the regular stuff - retail items, portrait studio, garden center, etc. but also a tire and lube service center, a pharmacy, and a full grocery store. I need this store next to my house. I would never go anywhere else. As it is, I generally go to three stores - why not make it one?
There are generally two main arguments against Walmart commonly thrown around and here is my answer to each.
1. It takes out the local Mom and Pop shops - I don't have a problem with that. I go to the store that gets me the best price for comparable goods. I don't get too tied to the stores I go to. If it's cheaper at mom and pop store, I'll go there rather than Walmart, particularly if it's closer to me. But I rarely find that to be the case.
2. It homogenizes culture - this argument does nothing for me either. As a creature of familiarity who thrives on sameness particularly in unknown places, I believe there's nothing better than having stores around that are the same everywhere you go. Not surprisingly, I also like eating at chain restaurants because I always know what I'm going to get. I realize that other people feel differently on this issue, but this is my post, not yours.
For these and other reasons, I love Walmart. They have everything I need at the best prices. It is the convenience and cost factors covered in one store. Who could ask for anything more? So if you're one of those folks who hate Walmart, that's fine, but I dare you to do your shopping exclusively at non-mega retail stores** and save as much money as I do. You can't. But then again that might not be what you are going for.
In sum, long live Walmart!
* It is so far away, I swear I could see the lights of LA in the distance.
**As a side, I put Walmart, Target and KMart in the same category, so if you boycott Walmart, you should boycott all three.
No comments:
Post a Comment