Wednesday, May 13, 2009

New Jersey is Fun

That's what Ellie told me early the first full day of our visit to my friend, Becca, in Passaic, NJ. She had the best time ever. And Annie liked it too. Becca and I grew up together for a handful of years (mostly middle school) in Indiana. Our families were so close we even did a family vacation together once or maybe twice.

Ever since she and her husband, Chris, moved to NJ, I've been meaning to visit and Matt's crazy schedule last week finally provided the perfect opportunity. We were only there Wednesday evening, all day Thursday and Friday morning, but we had a fabulous time.

Becca has four spirited kids ranging from I think 3 years to 10 years and they were so excited for visitors. I don't think Annie has ever been so physically accosted in her life. But she actually handled all of the love and attention pretty well. I think Ellie was just in heaven having so many people paying attention to her and having a whole house full of new toys and books at her disposal. They were so worn out by the time we left, they were both fast asleep within an hour of leaving despite the fact that it was only 10am.

And I had a wonderful time catching up with Becca. We didn't really go anywhere or do anything special. But that wasn't what I was looking for in a visit. Instead we just let the kids play and we talked and talked and talked. Chris joked about the fact that he found us each night in the same place, sitting the couches in the living room just chatting away. Well we had several years to catch up on and lots of things to say.

So, thanks to Becca, for being such a wonderful host. We can't wait to return the favor when you come to visit DC.

Here's some of the highlights of the trip.
Becca and all the kids
Ellie making yummy sugar cookies
Lots of reading
Coloring on the sliding doors - a big hit with Annie
Ellie LOVED the trampoline
Annie too
More reading
Even putting the mattress away was fun
And there were balloons! And those balloons came in very handy in the car on the way home. Who knew such a simple thing could captivate my girls for so long

1 comment:

Becca said...

It was great reliving your visit! We had such a blast - Caleb is lamenting Annie being gone. Thank you so much for coming to visit - we can't wait to come see you guys!