Friday, September 11, 2009

Week 23 Not as Perfect

This week was supposed to be wonderful too. My sister, Lissa, is in town to visit, which has been great. But Sunday morning both Matt and I woke up with a nasty cough/cold. Both of us have been struggling the entire week to get better. Even Ellie and Annie have been a little congested with runny noses too. For me, sleep was the hardest because my cough really only bothered me at night. I was just hacking and hacking all night despite the Robitussin, cough drops and breathing strips I employed. Last night was the first night since Saturday night when I didn't wake up in the middle of the night with a coughing fit. Yuck! Thankfully I think all of us are over the worst of it.

Sickness aside, we did do some fun things with Lissa. On Monday, we went to Frying Pan Farm and saw all the animals and played at their playground. On Tuesday, we headed over to the National Museum of American History. This time we actually took the girls to exhibits other than the fabulous Spark Lab (kids play place). I usually go exclusively to the Spark Lab. But the girls actually seemed to enjoy many of the exhibits we saw, including most notably the history of transportation section with all the trains, cars, and boats.

Tuesday night Lissa did a "sleepover" with the girls while Matt and I went to see the Taming of the Shrew at the Shakespeare Free for All. It was an excellent performance. This year they changed the location from a park in DC to a new theater downtown. It was a beautiful venue and especially wonderful not to have to worry about rain or mosquitoes. I'm so glad they made the switch. Ellie and Annie loved having their sleepover. They each got a pedicure, ate pizza for dinner, and watched their favorite shows. Who could ask for more? What a fun aunt!

Wednesday was playgroup day and the grand opening of our friend's Sabrina's bakery. We got to sample some really delicious cake and see all of Sabrina's and her husband, Lorne's, hard work pay off.

Thursday I had my doctor's appointment. Nothing new, nothing exciting. In fact, I saw the doctor for no longer than 3 minutes and was in and out of the whole office within 15 minutes. So boring the third time around. "How are you feeling?" "Fine, a little sick, but I'm getting better." "Well, your blood pressure is good, your weight gain was fine, your urine sample was fine, baby's heart rate is strong and you're measuring where you should be, so we'll see you in four weeks." "Cool." So there we are. 23 weeks along and nothing too exciting to say.

All in all, a good week, if only we had been spared the yucky illness. I guess even perfection gets a little muddled at times.

No comments: