Thursday, April 06, 2006

Who knew I liked the zoo?

We hosted some friends last week from Cambridge. As such, Ellie and I tried to be the best hosts by taking them to lots of fun destinations. Since they have three small little girls, we thought the zoo would be the perfect outing.

I haven't been to a zoo for years. I mean years. In fact, I don't remember the last time I went to a zoo. I don't even remember what zoo I've been to. I'm sure I have been to a zoo. I just don't know when or where. In the far recesses of my mind I vaguely remember going one time when on vacation as a child, maybe in California? Who knows?

As you might surmise, zoos don't really interest me that much. I don't know why, I'm just not into looking at a bunch of animals. So sue me. Matt has long been dismayed and befuddled by my lack of interest in going to the zoo. He doesn't understand how anyone could be so lackadaisical about something he considers to be so cool - especially since the National Zoo, like virtually everything else in DC is free (don't you just WANT to live here?) Yet, despite all this I have never visited the National Zoo in the six (can it be six?) years that I have lived in the DC area.*

So we went last week. Matt even took off a few hours from work to join us. And you know what? I had a great time! Can you believe it, they have REAL wild animals right there at the zoo. And they're really close! I tell you that elephant's trunk could almost reach me. And those monkeys almost had an accident on Matt and Ellie as they were hanging above them. I knew that giraffes were tall, but I tell you they must be taller in person - the one I saw towered over everything around it. And could anything be cuter than the panda? I don't think so.

So, I must admit. The zoo is a fun place to go. I will be indifferent no more. I might even consider doing a "Snore and Roar" party** with Ellie someday.

* OK, I confess I spent 1.5 years in Cambridge, MA, which broke up my six years here in DC. There, now you have full disclosure.

**A little thing the zoo lets you do. Basically, you can have a sleepover at the zoo with all of your friends. I think it's intended to celebrate a child's birthday, but I suppose anyone could do it.

1 comment:

Matt Astle said...

Me, that's who.