Friday, April 14, 2006

Road to Nowhere

So Ellie and I go on lots of walks. I mean LOTS of walks. We usually get in at least two a day - sometimes more. Sometimes I try to use them as ways to get her sleepy and sometimes just to keep her entertained. Yesterday we took an hour and a half walk. I wanted it to be really long so that she would sleep.* Luckily there are some great trails around our neighborhood so I set off.

There is one particular trail in the subdivision south of ours that puzzles me. You see you start by walking down a little hill off the main road and you enter into the woods. The trail goes for a little while and then it Ts. When I was pregnant last fall, I walked down this trail once in one of my many futile attempts to make Ellie come faster. But I had turned right at the T thinking that it would lead in a circle back to my subdivision - because it heads that way. But after walking for several minutes I came to a complete dead end. The paved trail simply stopped in the middle of the woods for no apparent reason.

Yesterday, I decided to take a left at the T and see where it went. Surely, I thought, this won't dead end. It seemed to follow along the outskirts of the subdivision, so I was sure it would come back onto the main road at the end. But sure enough, after walking several minutes I discovered that it too was a dead end.

And now I ask, why? Why go through all of the trouble of putting in a paved trail for walkers and riders alike, but then have it lead to nowhere. Who was the brilliant resource planner entrusted with this task and why weren't they fired?

It's not a big deal. But it does seem rather silly. Oh well. I guess when I have no place to go I will head that way again.

* Wouldn't you know it, she only slept the last 30 minutes of the walk.

No comments: