Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Idol Thoughts

So I watched American Idol for the first time last night. It was Elvis Presley night, so all of the contestants sang two songs originally performed by Elvis.

Here are my impressions on the singers.

I didn't like Taylor's song choices. His first song was Jailhouse Rock, which is a fine song except that he was attempting to impersonate Elvis (not only in dress but in dance moves) and clearly that was his mistake. Despite all the impersonators out there, no one can effectively do that unless they don the entire outfit, wig and persona - which he didn't do. His second choice was In The Ghetto, which is my absolute least favorite Elvis song - I do not like it at all. I also didn't really like his voice - it was too raspy for my liking and I just wasn't impressed.

Chris was probably my favorite. He did Suspicious Minds which is not only a great song but he did it really well. His other song is one that I was unfamiliar with A Little Less Conversation and I enjoyed that too. His voice was strong and beautiful.

I thought Eliot's performance was the 2nd best. He sang a couple of lesser known Elvis songs - If I Can Dream and Trouble. He sang well and didn't try to be Elvis. But his voice was also a little too raspy, like Taylor's.

Poor Katharine was really at a disadvantage, being the only woman left. She has an incredible voice but she picked a lousy first song (a bad mix of All Shook Up and Hound Dog) It sounded choppy and disjointed. Not only that, she actually forgot a lyric and really couldn't carry the song. Her second choice is actually my favorite Elvis song of all time Can't Help Falling In Love. A perfect choice, but she botched the ending by going completely out of tune. At the end, she searched for the right pitch as she stylized the last note.

So I was sure that Katharine was leaving tonight.

Well, I just watched tonight's episode, and I am dashed. Chris was voted off. And this is why I have never watched American Idol before and probably will not watch it again. I disagree wholeheartedly with the entire premise of the show. We are trusting the American public to make the final decision. It's like a lame popularity contest. I feel like I am in high school voting for the student body president all over again. You know, it doesn't matter how well you would do as student body president, it's popularity, not quality that is judged.* Essentially, the people who keep in the show are the ones that are popular not necessarily good singers or the ones who put in the best performance. Tonight's results have reinforced this theory. LAME!!!!!!

I am disgusted. That's all I have to say.

*For similar reasons, I fully support the electoral college and oppose discontinuing its use in presidential elections. Like the Founding Fathers, I have little faith in the American public. Can you imagine if we left it completely up to them to pick our president?!?!

1 comment:

That One Guy said...

You are right on both counts.

American Idol is a lame commentary on the state of the American Public, and the same is true of the Electoral College. Talk about pandering to the lowest common denominator!

Bingo!

:)