Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Ten Years of Reflection

Ten years ago this week, I graduated from Independence High School, Glendale, Arizona. I don't know if I can really wax all that philosophical, but I figure it does deserve at least a little moment of reflection.

I can tell you that ten years ago I would have never thought I would be where I am. Sort of, you see, I am doing exactly what I thought I would be doing (I was sure that I would be a stay-at-home mom) but the road I took is completely different than the road I thought I would take.

My plan at age 18 was to go to college, meet a wonderful guy to marry, get married and have at least three, maybe four kids. I would have never thought that I would have graduated from college single* I would have never imagined moving to the East Coast on my own, working in the marbled halls of United State Senate office buildings and the Massachusetts State House, earning my masters degree, and finding a fabulous man to marry much later than I had planned. But that is the way my life turned out. And I am so happy that it did. I have done some amazing things in the last ten years. Here's a few of my favorites:

Graduating from my favorite university of all time - Brigham Young University

Having some of the most amazing women I've ever known as roommates - both at BYU and in DC

Making some incredible friends along the way

Having something I've written spoken on the Senate floor or other distinguished places by the various politicians I've worked for and finding my handiwork in the copies of the Congressional Record nestled in the Harvard Law Library

Flying in a private plane with my boss and taking a helicopter ride over Lake Mead

Finding and recognizing the love of my life - Matt

Earning my Master's degree from GWU

Getting married in the same place that my parents did 33 years earlier - the Mesa Arizona LDS temple

Singing in Harvard Law School's very own a capella group Scales of Justice

Returning to DC and buying the home that we are going to begin our family in

Giving birth to the most beautiful girl in the world - my daughter, Elise (well, the labor wasn't my favorite, but she sure is)

*Of course, I did plan on graduating from college.

No comments: