Well, we finally did it. Heeding my late grandmother's advice, we decided that indeed "the baby is not the boss" and we have implemented a new sleeping strategy. We are letting our dear little Ellie (who turns 6 months this Thursday) cry it out. Our plan has been to leave her awake, but drowsy so that she can learn how to sleep.
We started last Wednesday and everyone's sleep has dramatically improved. I was sure that it was going to be a terrible, but necessary experience. I figured Ellie would be crying for hours and hours. But the longest she cried was the first day and that was only 37 minutes. And today she didn't cry at all for her three naps and only about 5 minutes at bedtime. We've been referring to a book entitled Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child and the methods described in it seem to work for us for the most part.
I am so glad we did it. It is amazing what a little bit of sleep will do to improve the way I operate and affect my perspective on things. And it has made Ellie a happier baby too. All in all, we have a happy well-rested family. And that's the best thing ever. Sweet dreams!
No comments:
Post a Comment