There's wasn't a happier girl in the world than Ellie, though (well, maybe me). She couldn't wait to get to preschool. Yesterday, the first day, was actually just an orientation that lasted an hour and included the parents and family. As we walked into the school, all of the teachers had signs with a child's name on them. When Ellie recognized her name, she hopped, skipped and ran to the teacher holding the sign. She was so thrilled and started right off with telling the teacher that she was Ellie and introducing me and Annie and showing her backpack off, etc. It was too cute.
Today was actually her first full day of preschool where she was dropped off for the full three hours. She loved every minute of it. On the drive home, she told me all about her snack and the cake they had for a girl's birthday in the class. When I asked her what else she did, she said "I can't you, Mom, it's a secret." She says this a lot lately. Eventually as the day went by she shared tidbits of information - painting, coloring, singing, dancing and overall playing.
There certainly was no sadness when it was time to start preschool. Ellie got out of the car, gave Annie a kiss, gave me a kiss turned towards the teachers meeting her at the door, yelled "Bye Mom" and never turned back. The only person sad when Ellie left was Annie. I got back into the car and Annie just let out a wail of despair that seemed to say "Where is Ellie going and why don't I get to go too?" So sad. Here I was so excited for this special time when Annie and I could have just one on one time together and all she wants to do is be with her sister, Ellie. Oh well. I guess I'm clearly not as fun as Ellie is. This must be what it's like to be the second child, always wanting to do what #1 is doing.
In some ways, I feel like we're behind on getting Ellie in preschool even though she will have two full years of preschool before she starts kindergarten. But since she will be one of the oldest in her grade, she has lots of friends who are only a few months older than her but will be a year ahead of her in school. They've been preschool already for a year and that gets my thinking all screwed up. But I wouldn't change anything about it. Ellie will be the oldest in her class and if there's anything I learned from reading Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell, this will only benefit her immensely academically.
I'm so glad that we got started on such a great beginning. I think this will be such a wonderful experience for Ellie. Here are some pictures of her big day.
Ellie and Annie before the drop off. Notice how happy Annie is.
1 comment:
Very cute!! The first day of school is so exciting. I'm glad she's taking to it so well. It's so cute to see their little personalities develop when they get to this age and then especially as they become a little more independent and start having a life and an identity of their own, outside of the family and you. Here's to many years of academic success! :)
Post a Comment