And it was pretty crazy. I've never seen anything like it. The line was amazingly long. I got to the government center about 20 minutes before the clinic opened and it took me 10-15 minutes to find parking. Then I parked myself in line. Fortunately I had a camping chair which turned out to be a huge blessing. I also had a bag full of snacks, water, a book, and my knitting.
After the first hour I had only moved about 20 feet. From then on, we moved pretty consistently. But I can't even express how long the line was. It was just full of switch backs and twists and turns starting beyond the massive parking lot, weaving through it, eventually circling around the entire building and finally actually entering the building. Thankfully, it only rained on us a little.
There were plenty of pregnant women, but I would say the majority were families with small children. I was surprised at how many whole families were there. I would have thought that one parent would have come with the eligible child and leave the rest of the family at home. But there were lots of folks who were in line - mom and dad with a few children, but only one of the children being vaccinated.
It was a pleasant line. Everyone helping out each other and being congenial. But I just kept thinking, wow, this is crazy. I mean, I don't want to play down the seriousness of the swine flu, but really aren't we being a little paranoid folks? Waiting three plus hours for a vaccine to get some piece of mind seems more like a placebo than an actual deterrent to sickness. Supposedly, the state of Virginia is going to have sufficient enough of vaccines by mid-November. Is three weeks really going to make a difference? Why not just wait until it is more readily available? I don't know. And who am I to criticize? Wasn't I one of the loonies in the line?
So I got my shot and once I got into the building it was all very fast. Plus it was "free." Though of course, I kept thinking that I'm paying for this anyway, through tax dollars. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch or a free vaccine. Considering the massive amount of staff they had running this thing, it was clear that some substantial funds were spent just to administer the vaccine, let alone the actual cost of said vaccine.
I tried to take some pictures to illustrate the long and lengthy lines. None of them really do it justice. But I'll post a few of them anyway. When I finally left the building 3.5 hours after I had come, there seemed to be no line at all. I don't know if people just stopped coming or if they had gone through so many vaccinations that they just started to turn people away. I wondered whether I shouldn't have just waited out the morning paranoia and shown up mid afternoon. Perhaps I should have. Oh well. What do you do?
The line ahead of me when I first arrived.
2 comments:
Being that you are pregnant, I think it is very good that you were vaccinated. I currently have the swine flu and I never thought I would have been infected with the virus (but should have known better being around children every day!).
Swine flu is rampant here. Lots of kids have been out at Miles's school, and I think both my boys have had it (not specifically identified). We'll get vaccinated as soon as possible (the nurse still tells us it's wise to do so), but I do wish the supply was higher in Maryland too. My dad told me today that in SLC last Friday they had 50,000 people show up for 7,000 vaccines, and fist fights did occur.
Post a Comment