Monday, January 25, 2010

One More Week

It's Matt's last week at home before he goes back to work. I can't believe it's already been three weeks. Having him home for so long has been so wonderful, like a little piece of heaven. Why, or why does he have to work? (Answer: to get us money, to buy us things). Still, I think we, as a society, have this working thing all messed up. We should work when we're older and our kids have grown up and moved out of the house and be home with them while they're young. Oh well.

I keep thinking that maybe I'm going to be ready to be home alone with these three little girls, but reality hits me. Like today, I took Ellie and Annie to a little music class we usually go to. Matt stayed home with Leah. After class we came home, had lunch and started nap time/quiet time. I was a little tired so I decided I would lie down for about an hour. Apparently I was REALLY tired - because Matt finally woke me up after three and a half hours!!! How pathetic.

I did make it to church yesterday, albeit 10 minutes late. I was so disappointed in myself. Matt and I had packed the diaper bag and my primary bag the evening before. He even took the bags to his morning meetings so I wouldn't have to worry about them. All I had to do was feed and dress myself, Ellie, Annie, and Leah and get us all out the door. We were going along fine. But I must have underestimated the time it would take to get everyone in coats and car seats, because when I turned the car on to my dismay the clock said 9:00am. What do you do? Better luck next week.

3 comments:

Cunningham Blog said...

It's always hard to get out the door with one more kid in tow! I was told that with each kid you add 10 minutes to get out the door. I have also found that to encourage my big girls to get their coats on by themselves, put their shoes on by themselves, I bribe them with Swedish Fish. They get a fish for staying in their bed at night, making their bed, cleaning the main family room before we leave, putting their shoes on without crying and putting on their coats by themselves without crying. It works pretty well.

The Tones of the Zarcone's said...

Don't be so hard on yourself - I know you already know that, but you are learning how to manage three children now. It takes time to get a routine down (and it will change as time goes on as you know) with each child that comes into your life. I currently have four children in my care and will soon have two infants join my group of girls - and I am trying to figure out NOW how I am going to make it work...oy. Simple things like taking a walk outside take forever - and that is just getting on jackets, shoes, etc.! I always tell my girls exactly what I expect of them (the older girls must put on their own jacket, shoes, etc. and I will assist where necessary, for example), and we start getting ready at least 15 minutes before my goal time of getting out the door. You already are on the right track by preparing your things the night before. Anything to save time helps!

Hang in there. You are amazing and such a wonderful Mom!

Melissa said...

You're going to do great. We are a few months ahead of you and things get better. These adjustments just take time. I remember I was terrified for Jeff to return to work, but it wasn't too bad. Hang in there. We're late for church all the time unless I'm Nazi scary mom which I hate to be.