Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Jamestown

We spent our first day exclusively at Jamestown. There were two places to go - the actual site of Jamestown maintained by the National Park Service and Jamestown Settlement - a living history museum that was focused more on recreating the settlement.

We started at Jamestown Settlement. I wish we had had more time or more correctly that we had more patient little people with us. But we still have a wonderful time.

Here are the girls in one of the recreated Indian huts sleeping on the bed.
The girls making some corn
Matt and Leah on one of the recreated boats. I was really surprised at how small these tiny boats were. I can't believe they actually sailed across the Atlantic Ocean. You couldn't get me on one those dinky things go further than a few miles. Crazy!
The whole family
Ellie in armor at the recreated fort
Annie rocking the armor look.
Daddy and the big girls with armor.
Ellie taking a snooze in one of the settler's houses.
After lunch and a little complaining we headed to the actual Jamestown Settlement site. Here the NPS is digging the actual site and conducting archaeological studies. They also had a very interesting museum displaying their findings (again, I wish we had much more time and accommodating travel companions, oh well).
To give Ellie credit, she really was very interested in watching the archaeologist dig and was pretty enthralled with his work.
The one thing that particularly piqued Ellie and Annie's interest was the various displays about Pocahontas - yea for princess obsessions. So we did actually get them interested about her, even though they have not yet seen the Disney movie, they are aware that she is in the princess club. Here they are with the statue at the settlement.
It was a pretty long day of touring, so the girls were glad to get home and swim while dinner was in the oven. I admit I fell asleep very quickly after the girls did. I was exhausted. Poor Matt had to entertain himself with NBA basketball for the evening.

No comments: