Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Yorktown

After lunch, we took the short drive to Yorktown, the last battle of the Revolutionary War. Like Jamestown, there were two places to go - a living history museum run by a semi-private organization and the actual site run by NPS.

The girls' favorite part was the dress up opportunity. How cute are they as little 18th Century girls.
I just love this picture of Annie. The look on her face is just priceless.
Ellie, on the other hand, doesn't look too sad be called insubordinate.
Neither does Matt.
Here they are trying their hand at writing with feather pens.
Here's the actual battlefield. The girls really enjoyed running on the earthworks.
The girls astride a cannon.
Leah on a cannon, I don't think she was too terribly thrilled about it.
Daddy and the big girls
This is the monument they had for the battlefield. I include it so you can see how big it is and then you can see the next picture and appreciate why I was a little nervous when Matt let the girls climb up the blasted thing and run around it several times.
Standing on the monument ledge after making several rounds on the ledge.

Like Jamestown, I wish we had had more time in Yorktown. We barely scratched the surface. There was an entire drive to look at the various battlesites, that we completely missed, not to mention the house where the British surrender actually occurred. I would have also enjoyed time at the waterfront of the city. It looked like such a nice place to take a stroll and enjoy the historic buildings. And of course, we didn't get to spend much time in the museum portions of either site. Oh well. At least we got a little taste and we did have a good time.

No comments: