Friday, June 11, 2010

Riverdance

Every year, Riverdance comes to Wolf Trap. And every year, I say to myself, I really want to see this. But for some reason, despite my 10 years here, I have never made it to Riverdance. Something always comes up, or finances are tight, or we don't want to spring for a sitter, or whatever and I always think "I'll just go another year."

So imagine how thrilled I was when my good friend, Marni, invited me to join her to see Riverdance at Wolf Trap last week. I was so excited! I was finally seeing it. My excitement was even more escalated when I discovered that this was Riverdance's farewell tour and indeed my absolute last chance to see it. I didn't even know. If it weren't for Marni I would have missed it completely!! Thank goodness for Marni!

Well, as I expected, the show was amazing. I can't believe how talented every member of the cast was. The music was incredible and the dancing - WOW!! I've never seen such fast moving feet. I can't even imagine moving my body so quickly and beautifully. It was one of the best cultural performances I've seen in a long time. So many times I found myself with my jaw just dropped in awe, scooting to the edge of my seat. I was almost embarrassed at my obvious display of childlike wonder. But Marni matched my enthusiasm, so that made me feel a little less conspicuous.

Now my only regret is that I didn't see it every year, because I think I could see it quite a few more times and still just love it. Thank you, Marni for sharing this wonderful experience with me. I loved it!

No comments: