I am up too early watching a recording of the lighting of the National Christmas Tree. I'm only half way through but it's got me reflecting a little about Christmas.
I really loved that the ceremony included an opening prayer. I think so often that religion has been so assaulted in the public forum of this country, that it sometimes surprises me when any religious act happens at a government function. Yet, it happens all the time.* And what more appropriate place to pray than at the tree lighting of the National Christmas tree. It celebrates specifically the birth of Christ and our nation's embrace of the peace and joy that birth brought to earth.
On another thought, I was really touched by a woman in my bookclub this week. She traditionally hosts our bookclub's Christmas party. Every December, we skip a book discussion and just have a really wonderful party, complete with a white elephant gift exchange. I've been in this bookclub for almost 4 years, and for the most part, I only see the women of my club once a month at bookclub. We live throughout the Arlington/Alexandria area in different wards in our church. So in many ways, I don't know all that much about them. But in other ways, I do - particularly because I have had the opportunity to share in often poignant discussions of life, love, and loss deriving from the books we've read.
Anyway, Amy always hosts the Christmas party. She is a fabulous entertainer and host and to me fits the definition of class and graciousness. This year, Amy introduced the idea of our bookclub participating in a Sub for Santa program. We were assigned two families (both single moms with two children) and a senior citizen. The wish list for these families is quite lengthy. Even though we have some 21 women in our bookclub, I worried whether we would be able to provide everything on the list. At the same time, I am feeling the pinch of finances, particularly at this time of giving. We have been presented with several opportunities to give financially to many wonderful causes this season and I am so happy to give. But I do need to make sure that we do not overextend ourselves. So as I looked at the lengthy list, I felt sorry that I could only offer a gift card from a local grocery store from the list. Amy's response made my day. She simply expressed heartfelt thanks for my offering saying it was what was exactly needed and promised that she was making some fabulous little smokies at our party for me. She surely didn't know how inadequate I felt my offering was. Yet, with ease she removed my worries away and made me realize that even my small gift was greatly appreciated and would make a difference. What a sweetheart.
A last thought, I am loving using my DVR this year to record a bunch of different Christmas shows like the tree lighting. Mostly I like the ones about decorating and entertaining for Christmas from HGTV or the Food Network.
*I learned from my days on the Hill that the Senate opens every day with a prayer.
No comments:
Post a Comment