Ten years ago, I pulled into the parking lot of a high rise apartment building that would be my first home in the metro Washington DC area. I packed my newly acquired Ford Escort full with almost everything to my name, leaving just a little space for me and my little sis, Lissa. We made the trek from Phoenix in about four days.
Thus began, my now ten years of living on the East Coast, most of that time in Northern Virginia. I can't believe it has been ten years. In some ways it seems just like yesterday. In other ways, it seems like a lifetime ago. So many things have happened to me while I have lived here, so many life changing events - marriage, children, etc. I fell in love with this city 11 years ago when I interned here. After moving here, my love has only grown larger and larger. Now that so many pivotal and important parts of my life have occurred here, it is very difficult to imagine living anywhere else. Here's to ten years in my favorite city and to the many wonderful memories I've made and to another ten years.
Top Ten Memories (in chronological order):
1. Rallying at the Supreme Court during Bush v. Gore
2. Being at the Capitol Building on September 11th (not a happy memory, but one I will never forget)
3. Running around the Tidal Basin with my roommates, the beautiful ladies of Club 3020.
4. Matt's and my first kiss
5. Matt proposing on the lawn of the Capitol building
6. Graduating from GWU with my master's degree
7. Buying our first house
8. Birth of Elise Virginia Astle
9. Birth of Johanna Lynn Astle
10. Birth of Leah Kyrie Astle
8 comments:
Happy 10th! I thought about the decade all day on my 10 year day too. So glad I got to share some of your top 10 memories!
I second Melissa's sentiments! Happy anniversary (my 10th was a few months ago) and I'm glad I've been here to experience some of those good times with you! I can't imagine the last 10 years of my life in DC w/o you, Jill's Lounge!
Wow Shelly-didn't know you have a masters-My respect for you has risen to a whole new level. Smarty pants:)
That was fun to read. Congrats on 10 great years!
Happy 10th!! I am jealous. I love and miss the area more and more. I am happy I was there for a few of those years.
Do you remember how your tape player didn't work so we had to listen to whatever we could find on the radio all the way across the country?
Totally. But didn't we stop at a Walmart and get a tape player in like New Mexico? I'm pretty sure we did.
Yeah we did. But it was hard to hear so we still listened to a lot of radio.
Post a Comment