Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Pseudo free

Like anyone, I like getting things for free. So I take advantage of free coupons I get in the mail all the time. But, let's be honest. I don't really get whatever is offered for free for the following reason. I always feel like I need to buy something while I am there.

Last week provides the perfect example. I had received in the mail a coupon for a free pizza entre at a local bakery and eatery. There were no requirements to buy anything else, it was free. The only stipulation is that you had to dine-in, no take-out. Fine. So Ellie and I went over to the bakery to claim my free pizza one night when Matt was working late. The thing is I felt terrible not buying something, because, you know, they were giving me something for free. So I decided to buy a long French baguette for $2.45.

And, there you go, they got me. This is exactly what they wanted me to do. This is precisely why they sent the coupon in the first place. They wanted me to A) try their new product (the pizza*), so I would want to eat again. B) and they wanted me to buy something else while I was there, creating business that otherwise would not happen. And I played right into their hands.

One of these days, I am going to get the free coupon and I am going to go into the store, get the free item, and leave. I've done it once before at a different store and it wasn't that bad. The saleswoman desperately tried to get me to buy something else, but I was strong and didn't give in. I can do it again.

From now on, I am resolved. I will only get the free item, I will not fall prey to their marketing schemes. I will be strong and withstand the feelings of wanting to somehow make up for the fact that they are giving me something free. They are giving me something free, I didn't ask for it. They offered. I should take it and run.

*the pizza is fine, but it certainly wasn't worth the $9 it normally sells for.

2 comments:

Matt Astle said...

You fail to mention our Labor Day trip to the kiddie photo place. They offered a free 8X10 photo of our sweet baby with no sitting fee, and when I acted a little impatient about how they didn't have any photo paper at the time they said the photos would be ready, we ended up getting a bunch of photos--an alleged $46 value--for free as well. We didn't spend a red cent.

Shelly said...

It's true. We really are cheapskates. Still, I do feel a little guilty about that too.