Monday, October 30, 2006

Robbed - And I Can Never Get it Back

Here's my beef about daylight savings time.* Everybody says, "Oh it's ok, if you lose an hour in the spring, you'll get it back in the fall." That's a lie and I will explain why.

My dear sweet daughter, Ellie, sleeps from 7pm-7am every night, with very little variation. She is as reliable as an alarm clock and certainly louder than one too. Anticipating the time change, I made sure to keep her up an extra hour last Saturday night, so she would wake up at the new 7am time and not 6am (the old 7am). My efforts, as I feared, were in vain. At exactly 6am, Ellie woke and cried out for us and she did it again this morning as well. Who knows how long it is going to take her to adjust to the new time. (Darn those circadian rhythms)
But one thing I do know - I never got that extra hour of sleep on Sunday - and I will never get it back either. I was robbed.

*I have never been a fan of daylight savings time. Growing up, I lived in each of the three states that do not observe it (Hawaii, Indiana, and Arizona). Recently Indiana has started observing it, but not while I lived there. The first time I had to change my clock was my freshman year at BYU. I'll never forget my dear friend, Rachel, taking the time to explain it to me "It's easy," she said, "spring forward and fall back." I understand the need to get more light during the day - it saves energy, etc. But why do we have to fall back? Why not just stay ahead and never change our clocks again.

No comments: