Wow! We survived our first tropical storm. Wouldn't you know it; here we are in the beautiful Outer Banks, NC for Thanksgiving and we were huddled in our house for nearly 40 hours while the worst storm I've ever been in was raging outside. The winds were so strong and powerful ,the entire house shook. The furniture was shaking, the ceiling fans swaying, the windows trembling. I've never been jarred awake from a deep sleep thanks to my bed jerking back and forth. We watched the ocean waves from our house in awe as they crashed with fury and might. It was pretty incredible.
Funny things that happened while we waited the storm out.
* Despite the rain and wind, I jumped at the opportunity to go buy some needed brown sugar just to get out of the house.
* When cruelly awoken from sleep, I spent several minutes in a vain attempt to fall back asleep however most of those minutes were actually spent hoping the ceiling fan above me wouldn't fall on top of me.
* Hearing the escape plans that were formulated by our friends who are sharing the house with us. "Honey, you grab the keys, I'll grab the baby and we'll run to the car."
Amazingly, through most of the storm, we had power. But this morning, we awoke to no power. I spent the majority of the morning wondering how we were going to make Thanksgiving dinner with no power. Would we ask the rental company to offer us a different house in the area that still had power? Would we have to resort to dinner at the local Outback Steakhouse down the street? Or would we just head home early? Luckily, the power came back on by noon. I should have guessed that it would be restored quickly since I'm sure this area deals with strong storms routinely, but still I was impressed with how quickly it was restored.
Postscript
** The irony is that as I was first writing this last paragraph the power randomly went out a second time, despite the fact that the storm was long since gone, and we had been enjoying power for over seven hours. What are the chances? Thankfully, the second outage only lasted a little over an hour and only delayed dessert (Wednesday night).
What a Thanksgiving to remember. I'll let you know if we actually get to have dinner or not...
No comments:
Post a Comment