We decided to make the trek to Timpanogous Cave Friday morning with Ellie in tow. It is a 3.5 mile round trip hike that is very steep. I have only done it once when I was like 8 years old. So I figured it wouldn't be so bad. And it wasn't bad for me. But as Ellie started to complain about walking after we had only gone 1/4 of the way up, I knew we made a mistake. I was also very grateful that we had the sense to leave Annie behind with her grandparents.
Here are some of the things I learned.
2-yr-olds should never hike Mt. Timp, even just to the cave. I'm not kidding when I tell you I don't plan to hike this trek again until my youngest kid is at least 5. Matt's brother, Dirk, lent us his kiddie backpack as we left and we doubted that we would use it. Are we ever grateful we brought it instead. We carried Ellie for at least half of the way up and most of the way down.
Turns out, I am bizarrely afraid of mountain heights. I didn't really think I was but there is no question about it, mountain cliffs FREAK ME OUT!!! I'll amend this slightly, I wouldn't have been so freaked out if they had a railing! But they don't, it's just a drop. One false step and you fall to your death. And really I would've have been fine if we didn't have little kids with us. Of course, the rangers, upon seeing our group, had to tell us about the 3-yr-old girl who died a couple of years ago when she fell off the trail. There we were - 5 adults and 4 kids (ages 5, 4, 3, 2) and I could barely contain my extreme anxiousness every time one of the kids was within two feet of the edge (and the trial is only like 4 .5 ft wide). I was simply beside myself. I was practically hugging the side of the mountain. I could hardly enjoy the beautiful view.
Go early. We arrived at 10am and had to wait for a 2pm cave tour. So it made our morning hike into a whole day trip. We weren't even allowed to start the hike until 12:30pm. It's a good thing we didn't have anything else planned and very accommodating babysitters.
But we made it and it was nice to see the cave again. I really don't remember much from the hike when I went as a child so I'm glad we went - especially because we all made it back alive. Still, I'm not doing it again for like 15 years.
1 comment:
We did that one too in June with both kids. At least your were smart enough to leave one of them at home. I carried one or the other up the whole way and back down and had the back problems to show for it for a few days after. It was also really hot. Fun memories though. Sorry for your fear. They didn't tell us about the falling to her death three year old or i would have probably been freaked too.
Post a Comment