Friday, August 01, 2008

Twilight: A Review

So I am a little late getting on the fan bus on this one and I don't exactly think I'm a fan, but I did just finish the first book in the Twilight series. I read most of it on my trip to NYC last week. And I have a ton to say about it, mostly critical. But just to make sure everyone understands, I will state first and foremost, I enjoyed it. I liked the story, I liked the characters. I am interested to know what happens next in the series and I will probably read all of the books. I also read it quickly, which for me means that I liked it.

All that being said, here are a few of the things I didn't like about it.

1. Vain repetitions - I know the author really wanted to get across how hot Edward is, but really stop using the same words and phrases. If I read about his "smoldering eyes" or "godlike" body, I'm gonna go crazy. I get the point, he's hot, but try using a few different adjectives instead of the same ones over and over.

2. Bella, is she for real? The heroine is supposed to be a fairly normal girl, but she's not. I mean really, no one is that accident prone. And even if someone is clumsy, no one is going to believe that they accidentally fell down two flights of stairs and broke through a window. I don't care who you are. It's not a rational explanation. Also, no one is that instantly popular when you move into a new place. There really is no explanation as to why every single guy of her acquaintance is totally after her. I realize she's new blood (sorry for the pun) in a small town but honestly, even she says she's unexceptional. If she really was, those boys wouldn't be so crazy about her. I suppose most folks wouldn't complain about this point, because there's probably a part of everyone who would like all of the guys to be after you, but it's not realistic and it's pretty unbelievable.

3. Plot Familiar? As I was reading the last part, I couldn't help but think "Haven't I read this before?" I swear I have. I swear the ending, the way the evil vampire tricked Bella has totally been done before. Not at all original. In fact, a lot of the story had a lot of familiarity to it. I guess that's not too bad, I had a professor who claimed that there are really only 10 movie plots in the world and he's just about right. But still, it was disappointing to read and not be surprised at how things were going.

4. Vampire Gimmick is too Tedious. At the heart, this is a story of forbidden love. Two lovers who can't be together and their journey as they try to reconcile their different worlds. But the vampire stuff was too gimmicky. I mean really, according to the book the vampires are supposed to be almost uncontrollably obsessed with the blood of humans. They have mastered their bloodthirsty tendencies, but only by keeping their distance from humans. Fine. Then why was it so easy for Edward to make the change and be with Bella all the time? Sure he struggled for like a day, and then it seems he's fine. He can touch her, kiss her, blah, blah. I don't think it would be that easy. And as soon as the evil hunter vampire arrives on the scene, the other vampires seem to totally lose their instinct to lust after her blood as well. Please. It just seemed like the author had this great love story to tell and the vampire gimmick provided the forbidden love aspect, but it provided a few too many obstacles and got too tedious. That's my take anyway.

There's probably more I have to say on it, but that's all I can think of right now. But I still reiterate, I enjoyed the book. And I want to read the rest of the series and see the new movie coming out this December. I just think there are ways to improve. Still, I've never written a novel, so props to Stephanie Meyer.

6 comments:

Andrea said...

I enjoyed your review. I thought, being a Harry Potter fan, you would enjoy this series too. I couldn't get into it either. It was entertaining and I certainly wanted to find out how it ended, but I wasn't hooked to keep reading the series. The whole vampire thing was just too much. But I do want to see the movie because I like seeing how they translate books into film.

Becca said...

Well, I, on the other hand, loved these books. They were my 'up until 4:00 a.m. to read because I couldn't put it down' books. We had a book club on these and most everyone loved them. I think we had one Harry Potter fan (the most avid) who wasn't as hooked as everyone else. But, that's okay. I can't wait for the 4th one to come out tomorrow! I may have to read all 3 of the first ones to get into again :)

Joni said...

How funny, I just finished reading the book last night and I feel the same as you. A lot of repatition, unrealistic, blah, blah, blah. I almost stopped reading when I got to the part when Bella let Edward watch her sleep. Hello! Who would let a vampire watch you sleep?! I haven't decided if I want to keep reading the series. Let me know if you do and if it's worth it.

Anonymous said...

I had a lot of the same thoughts as you. A lot of unrealistic things...a teenager totally doing all the housework and cooking? Please!?! I have to say that I just finished book 3 because I too wanted to see what happened. It really grew on me through book 2 and then I thought the 3rd was even better. Sometimes I remind myself that it is a young adult novel. Having to read a bunch of YA novels in college for my degree I found that they weren't the same as I got older. A lot of the unrealistic things I think appeal to the teenage mind. So, when I find myself thinking "give me a break", I remind myself it is Young Adult Fiction and then I feel better. I say keep reading...it gets better. Does any of this make sense? I've been up since 5:45 this morning! My brain is mush! : )

Melissa said...

I just read the first book the other day too. I was like you and finished it really quickly but then felt critical. I didn't dare post a review because my good friend LOVES it. I have no desire to read the other books. Really cheesy love (infatuation) story. But a good entertaining read for a day I have to say.

Vickie said...

I agree with your review. I've read the first three books, and they are a good, fast read, but not my favorite. The descriptions of how perfect and wonderful Edward are get old fast. If you like young adult novels and want a fun fairy tale, I recommend Ella Enchanted and Fairest (both by Gail Carson Levine). I also recently re-read 'The Thief' series by Megan Whalen Turner, and I really like those. Check them out!