So I finally decided to potty train Ellie. I have been putting it off for a really long time. It just seemed like too much work for me. I think she could've probably been potty trained for a while since she has been voluntarily going on the toilet since late March. But I wasn't willing to give up the ease of diapers and it wasn't like she was completely consistent. But now that summer is over and we're hanging around home a little more, I decided now was as good a time as any and I was tired of helping her go to the bathroom (because she likes going on the toilet) and then having to put on a diaper again, etc. It was like I was doing double duty - potty training and diapers. So we went cold turkey Monday. 48 hours later and we've only had one accident. I know it's only two days in, but I'm proud of my sweetie.
We even went to the library for story time on the first day with no problems. Other than that we've stayed at home. Today is the big test as we are going to playgroup at the park where there isn't a bathroom easily available. I really don't know if we're going to make it. Wish us luck!
We have a similar incentive system set up that we used when we put her in a big bed. She gets a skittle each time she goes on the toilet (I really need to make a deal with Skittles). And if she goes the whole day with no accidents she gets a sticker on her Big Girl Potty Chart when Matt comes home from work. Once she get 7 stickers, she gets a cupcake party. Because I figure three weeks makes a habit, she get another chance to collect 14 more stickers, earning yet another two cupcake parties. So hopefully we will be having a lot of cupcake parties in the next few weeks. She looked pretty cute in her panties that she picked out on Saturday at Target. She even looks slimmer without the bulky diaper. I can't believe we're parents of such a big girl. She's truly not a baby anymore. Here's to a successful potty training day.
4 comments:
Way to go! Cami just potty-trained herself over Labor Day weekend. I was surprised how easy she was - it makes a BIG difference when they are ready. It sounds like Ellie is there! That's so nice!
I wish I read this BEFORE playgroup... I would have asked how it was going! How did she do?
I am sooo afraid of potty training. I'm not even going to think about it until the baby's here at least. I just can't deal with it and I hear kids sometimes regress when big changes happen (like a new baby).
Good luck!
Good luck! What a great start. I hope she keeps it up!
GO YOU! I can't wait until I don't have to change diapers any more. Aaron loves the toilet, but won't always goes when he "says" he needs to go. He's young, but his time will come. Good Job Ellie!
Post a Comment