If there is one thing I hate more than cleaning my house, it's any kind of yard work. I just cannot stand it. It's just hot, sweaty, messy, buggy labor and I HATE it. This is why I am so grateful that our HOA does most of the yard work for us. The only thing we really need to worry about are the planters plots (one in the front and one in the back). But even that is almost too much for me.
The planter out front requires very little maintenance. We have some azalea bushes that Matt trimmed earlier this summer and have covered the ground with a nice red mulch. Every once in a while we pull out a stray weed, but it's not too much trouble.
I wish the same could be said about the planter in the back. It's only a 2ft by 10 ft plot, but it's almost impossible for me to upkeep. We only have my lilac bush in it right now - meaning that the rest of the plot is open and becomes a favorite growing ground for weeds. If I were a responsible person, I would pull the weeds 3 or 4 times a week, but I'm not. So we've just sort of let the whole thing go for the past month.
I finally took look out back yesterday and realized I could barely see the lilac bush among all of the very tall, very full and thriving weeds. Seriously, it was simply embarrassing how bad we'd let get. So during Ellie's nap, I finally pulled on my garden gloves and set to weeding. It really didn't take that long and I absolutely should have done it earlier. But it was still so unpleasant and messy.
I swear someday when I am rich and famous (and live in a bigger house with a bigger yard), after I get a cleaning service, I am getting a landscaping service. Or we could just stick with living in neighborhoods where the HOA takes care of the lawn. This is why downtown city life sometimes appeals to me - no lawn to maintain. When we retire someday, I think Matt and I will seriously consider getting a condo in the city - I mean who needs all of the work that goes with keeping up a lawn?
No comments:
Post a Comment