Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Dealing with the Crap

This is not meant to be a complaining post. Instead, it is meant to be a statement of fact. I have found that since I have become a full-time mom, I am the primary one in the house who deals with the crap. Now, I am not referring to Ellie stinky diapers. No, I am talking about the mundane, often irritating chores that come up from time to time. Things like getting the oil changed in the car, calling the pest control guy and waiting for the pest control guy to come and fix a problem. Calling the insurance folks to make sure that we don't need to pay such and such bill. When something breaks, I'm the one who calls around to find the best repair man, etc, etc. I call it - dealing with the crap.

These are tasks that Matt and I would share responsibility on before kids came and I was working. But now that I am the one who is home and really have a much more flexible schedule, it has really become my responsibility. And that's totally fine. I'm completely fine with being the one who takes care of it. But I don't have to enjoy it and I feel I'm allowed to say that's its no fun.

I am only thinking about this right now because it's time to get the safety inspections on our cars done. So yesterday Ellie and I went over to a local gas station and got my car inspected. We also went to two different stores to find the light bulb that needs to be replaced in Matt's car so we can get his inspected too. If I was really a martyr, I would have actually replaced the light bulb. But for now, I am leaving that responsibility to Matt. So later this week, I will head to the gas station again and wait around while Matt's car is inspected.

Now things aren't that bad. There are things that Matt does do and I really appreciate it. For instance, I made Matt call the cable company to sign up for the extended cable package we wanted to ensure that we can see 5 of the BYU football games this fall. (Go Cougars!) I figured that he was the one that really understood what we were ordering, so he better be the one to make the call. However, it was Ellie and I that went to the cable store and picked up the new cable box we need. Installation will be Matt's responsibility as well.

Still, it's just no fun to deal with the crap. And sometime that's what I do - and sometimes I feel entitled to resent it.

No comments: