Wednesday, August 15, 2007

I Jinxed Myself

Just Monday I was patting myself and Ellie on the back for not having to go to the doctor at all since her last well appointment in May. Ellie has always been pretty healthy and we've only been to the doctor for a few rare occasions (with the exception of her well appointments). So I had this great goal of making it all the way to her next well appointment in November without going to the doctor for anything. I knew we could do it.

Wouldn't you know it, my plans were ruined the very next day. Yesterday, Ellie got a little careless as she was going down the stairs and missed the last step. She landed on her right foot and then collapsed onto the floor screaming and crying with extreme sadness. I scooped her up and spent the next 20 minutes trying to calm her down.

When I finally did that, I had her stand and walk to see if her foot was hurt. She would stand but her crying started afresh each time she tried to take a step. She knows the word hurt as well as the sign and she said it continually while pointing at her foot. And also said "No walk" many times. I didn't think her foot was broken, but I thought there was a good possibility that it was sprained. So we got an appointment with the doctor in the afternoon and I put Ellie down for a nap.

Wouldn't you know it, when we got to the doctor she was just fine. Granted she was walking gingerly, but she was walking and there was no indication that she had anything other than a twisted ankle. I felt so foolish. Thankfully, the doctor didn't mock me to my face - perhaps he did after I left - I'll never know.

To add to my embarrassment, Ellie insisted on pushing her stroller out of the doctor's office - making it abundantly clear that her foot was not only uninjured, but just fine!

Oh well. I guess the $25 copay was worth the piece of mind of knowing that she is OK.

No comments: