Thursday, August 09, 2007

Defying the Odds

I beat it!!! Yesterday I took the glucose sugar test which tests to see if I have gestational diabetes. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with Ellie, so I was very concerned that I would be diagnosed with again with this pregnancy. In fact, the odds are not in my favor. Essentially 2/3 of women who have gestational diabetes will have it the next time they are pregnant. So I have been dreading taking the test this time around, even though I have done a lot to avoid getting gestational diabetes since Ellie was born.

Mostly, I have been focusing on exercise - before I got pregnant I was working out at least 4 times a day, since I've gotten pregnant, I've been going at least 3 times a day. Nevertheless, I was still very worried that despite all of that effort, I would have gestational diabetes again.

But the incredible news is that I passed the glucose test with flying colors!!! No gestational diabetes this time! I'm so thrilled! I can't believe it.

Apparently, my iron levels were a little low so I will have to take an iron pill each day with my pre-natal vitamin, but I can totally handle that. No problem! So yippie for me - I beat the odds, I don't have gestational diabetes! Yes!

No comments: