I am probably one of the least spur of the moment people I know. I buy my airline tickets for Christmas in August. I find something at the store that I want and I wait two days before I buy it just to make sure I really want it. There is nothing impulse about me. I'm am sure it comes from being a military brat. Everything my family did, including vacation, was planned down to the minute.
So I stepped completely out of my element last night when Matt came home from work and declared that our plans to take next Monday through Friday off had been nixed by his superiors at work. Instead Matt has to be at work next Wednesday and Thursday.
The good news (if there is some) is that Matt can take half of today (Thursday) and Friday off, as well as Monday and Tuesday of next week. The bad news is that we have some commitments that make it impossible for us to be out of town Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon. Our solution? Two mini trips - planned quickly!
I spent two hours last night searching for a hotel in Amish Country, Pennsylvania that would be available tonight. Believe me, it is not an easy thing to do! Our plan is to head to PA tonight. Go to Hersheypark tomorrow. And then stop at the Strasburg Railroad park on Saturday and be home for our commitment Saturday evening.
Then Sunday evening we'll head out again (who knows where) and come back Tuesday night. What a trip or trips, I should say! I've never done this before and I'm a worried that since there's been no planning something will go wrong or we'll forget something really important. But we really don't have a choice if we want to have any vacation at all. So spontaneity is the key. Wish us luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment