Monday, April 28, 2008

BK Gross!!!

I had the worst fast food experience in my life Saturday night. Matt and I were feeling a little lazy as dinnertime hit so we decided to try the new Steakhouse Burger at Burger King. I had seen the ads for this burger and it looked like it could be similar to my all-time favorite burger - the Western Bacon Cheeseburger - only available at Carl's Jr. Carl's Jr. is only in the west, so I never get to eat it. So I was glad to see that Burger King might have an acceptable alternative. Boy was I ever wrong.

First, there are two versions of the Steakhouse burger - the regular one with cheese, lettuce, tomato, and onion rings, and the "Loaded" steakhouse burger - that has minus the lettuce and tomato but adds bacon and some sort of mashed potato topping. I wasn't the least interested in the potato topping, but I did want bacon. So I had Matt order me a regular steakhouse burger, but ask to add bacon. This is the problem when restaurants employ people whose original language is not English. All too often the order is completely screwed up. We ended up getting two Loaded Steakhouse burgers. I had Matt return the burgers and they gave us new burgers, or so we thought. But after about four bites, I realized that all they did was add lettuce and tomato to the burgers that they had originally given us - so there was still that nasty potato topping. To make matters worse, the onion rings weren't at all crispy. They were like the cheap onion strings you can buy in a can - disgusting!

At this point, I was too irritated to demand a fix, plus seeing as how we doubted the guy even understood our original complaint, I thought it unlikely that he would be able to fix it on a second time. So I suffered through about 3/4ths of the sandwich and tossed the remains. Even as we drove home I had eater's remorse.

I was so bummed. Here I was hoping to find a new alternative to my favorite burger, and I was completely disappointed. Few things could be so frustrating. Plus, I had just eaten a huge amount of calories, therefore ruining my diet, yet I didn't even enjoy the splurge. I've gotten to the point in my weight loss efforts that I'm willing to splurge but only for something fantastic. I don't want to waste calories on mediocre and here I had wasted calories on disgusting.

Then it got even worse. Within two hours, I was seriously miserable. My stomach felt terrible. On top of that, I had a terrible headache and I was exhuasted. I blame being tired on the very busy day I had, the headache was just a fluke, but stomach discomfort was all Burger King.

Now, you should know that I have an iron stomach. I'm not kidding. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've thrown up in my life. I've gone through two pregnancies and I've thrown up only once while pregnant. I've been on a small boat in the ocean surrounded by several other people spewing over the side and not tossed my cookies. I have a constitution that doesn't quit. But Saturday night, I lost it TWICE! I was miserable. Matt also didn't feel good, though he managed to keep every thing down.

One thing I have learned, bulimia is not for me. I was so grossed out by the contents of my toilet, I am sure that should I turn to a life of bulimia I would more quickly turn instead to a life of anorexia because the very idea of seeing my food that way would lead me to stop eating all together. Fortunately, I like food too much, so I doubt I will have a problem with either.

The more shocking news is that the following day at church we discovered that one of our friends was home sick. Turns out he and his wife (who was also feeling pretty sick) also ate at Burger King the night before. Can you believe it? So let this be a lesson to you and me, avoid the Burger King in Kingstowne, VA. Four people in one night - it's gotta mean something. Yuck!

No comments: