Last Saturday evening, we went to a new place. The back story in itself is interesting. Sometime last week Matt began thinking of some of his favorite childhood/adolescent experiences. He remembered specifically a frozen custard place that was in his neighborhood and curiosity led him to look it up online to see if it still existed. Imagine his delight when he discovered that not only was Nielsen's Frozen Custard still alive and well in Salt Lake, but that they actually had a franchise open in Vienna, VA - a mere 20 minute drive from our house.* So Saturday night we headed out for me to try my first frozen custard and for Matt to relive a little piece of his childhood. It was really good stuff. I got a custardwich, which is just frozen custard scooped between two chocolate cookies - so yummy! And Matt got his old haunt, a concrete, which is essentially like a blizzard from Dairy Queen.
But the big surprise came when I first entered the door. As soon as I came in, I was hailed by an old friend both Matt and I knew from our single days here in DC. I haven't seen Andria or her husband, Dave (I knew him in college, as well as DC) in years. On top of that, another couple we knew from our single days - Wendy and Crispen - were with them! What a happy encounter! Here were four people that I don't see at all, but I used to see all of the time. As we chatted and quickly gave each other updates on our lives, I regretted knowing that these friends live right in town and yet we never see each other. We might as well live hours away. The same is true for so many friends we have in the area. But I just don't know if it is even possible to personally visit them all with actual regularity. Our lives are so busy - not just mine, but theirs. I actually felt sad that I had lost track of too many friends, friends that live so very close to me. Actually, Wendy and Crispen told us they are moving to Toledo in a few weeks. So now even if I mend my ways and do a better job at visiting my friends in town, there's no way to see them more often.
I guess that's why I'm glad that at least I do this blog. That way, my friends and family out of town and in town can know what's going on in my life. They can see what the girls and I have been up to. That way when we do get together it will be like we didn't miss a beat. So I guess the moral of this post is to remind myself that I need to do a better job at seeing my friends in town, but also keep up with updating this blog so my friends will know how I'm doing. Here's to trying!
*It's actually the only Nielsen's outside of Utah - what are the chances?
1 comment:
A "custardwich" and a "concrete" are names that almost make me want to drive out and try the place out! It sounds so good! :)
Post a Comment