Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Broken Toes Confirmed

That's right folks, you read it right. I broke not only one, but two toes! As the day wore on my foot got more painful and the bruises more deeply colored, so I decided to go to the doctor. Fortunately the orthopaedic surgeon's office I called was willing to work me in after I divulged my bizarre circumstance.* And one of my visiting teachers was able to watch Ellie and Annie for me too (on such short notice - this woman should receive special blessings).

So off I went to see the doctor. A little over an hour later it was confirmed. Two broken toes (#2 & #3 of the right foot), right at the tips of my toes. What, do you ask, do you do for broken toes? The answer is - not a whole lot. They gave me the retarded-looking shoe that stops you from bending your foot, which I don't have to wear, but it actually is nice to have. I also have to take ibuprofen twice a day and wrap my two toes together to keep them straight. The rest is just giving it time to heal.

Can you believe it? I feel so foolish. The good news is that it's not a bad break and that I can do cardio on a stationary bike while I am recovering (for which I am very grateful)** But still what a ridiculous thing to have happen. I promise I'm really not that accident prone - though my increasing list of broken bones may convince you otherwise (4 now). It's been years since I've broken a bone.

I guess the other silver lining (and Busse you will appreciate this) is that my nail polish survived the break and still looks pretty. At least that!

*And of course I got the "Oh YOU'RE the one with the 45lb weight, nice!" when I got in from like everyone in the office. Seems I was the fluke of the day for their office.

*Thanks to Natalie for suggesting it, I confirmed it with the doctor because I saw your comment. Thank you!

5 comments:

Sabrina said...

Oh Shelly - that stinks - well, now you know why I don't do weights! :) Hope you feel better soon!

Becca said...

Wow! It's nice to know for sure and that you know how to treat it. I'm sure they appreciated your pretty toe nails there too :)

Andrea said...

what a bummer! i'm glad you were able to get in to see the dr. and the nail polish survived!

Melissa said...

Wow that sucks. I hope your toes get better quick.

MBusse said...

How fortuitous to have pedicured feet for such an occassion. :-) So glad it hides your bruises. At least you can feel great about your feet even with taped toes.