Friday, November 21, 2008

Turkey and More

Once again I have managed to wiggle out of making a turkey for Thanksgiving this year. I'm so happy. In fact, this will probably the easiest Thanksgiving I've had in years. We are headed to my cousin's house in Manassas and despite the fact that I asked to be assigned at least four items to bring, they have asked that we only bring some punch and rolls. How easy is that? I'm really excited about it.

I am not a big turkey fan. I usually only eat it once a year - at Thanksgiving and on the occasional sandwich when there is nothing else available. And I can't begin to tell you how much cooking a turkey freaks me out. It comes back to my bizarre squeamishness when it comes to eating meat. I like it as long as there aren't any bones involved or any remnant reminding me of the carcass. So baking a turkey is just disgusting to me. Thankfully, I've never actually had to prepare a turkey for Thanksgiving.

This must be some sort of achievement. I mean really, 30 years old and I've never baked a turkey for Thanksgiving. And I've even hosted TWO Thanksgiving dinners (my mother was there the first time and she was in charge of the turkey; and my mother-in-law did the same thing the second time). It's such a great run, even if I could get over my aversion to baking a turkey I might want to keep it up just to see how far I can make it.

Random notes:
Poor Ellie got a nasty ear infection yesterday. She was fine all day until 3:30pm and then just started wailing about her ear and crying uncontrollably. Fortunately, our pediatrician was able to work her in at 7:50pm (I love them!). I sent Matt with Ellie because I think he should have the opportunity to do parent things like this if he can. He, of course, was very willing. Apparently it is a very bad infection. Poor thing was so miserable. Thank goodness for modern medicine; she is feeling fine today.

I survived a dental check up with no cavities. The dentist even complimented my brushing, saying that I do a very good and thorough job. Not bad, eh? Too bad I have a major dental procedure to be done in January. It's a little complicated, but essentially on one of my teeth the root never formed properly. So I need to go to a special dentist to have them try to create the root. It's a long, hugely expensive process that isn't covered by dental insurance (such a pain!).

And it is crazy cold here in Virginia. It's been January weather and I'm not in the least thrilled. I usually think that the radio stations that begin playing Christmas music the week before Thanksgiving jump the gun. But considering how cold it is, it almost seemed fitting to hear Christmas songs when I turned on my radio this morning on the way to the gym. It's even supposed to flurry today. Yuck! Cold weather was one of my biggest complaints of living in Boston. I depend upon Virginia to have a milder winter. Virginia, why have you forsaken me?

5 comments:

Ryann said...

I actually really like cooking the turkey and experimenting with various seasonings. you may get to like it if you give it a try!

Jill said...

You were there when I made my first turkey. I admit, I was a bit nervous, but it turned out just fine and was surprisingly easy!

Natalie C. said...

We were saying last night at the movies that the reason it feels so cold to us is that we don't know how to dress. The weather is so unpredictable. If we lived in Canada or Finland, we wouldn't complain because we would have the correct clothes already to stay warm.

Nelson Family said...

You are lucky to live in Virginia. Try living in upstate New York -- I think we had a high of 20 yesterday. And thanks for the advice about the steaks! Julie

Dianah said...

I cannot believe that you have made it this far without cooking a turkey. Go you!! I have yet to cook one also. When that day comes, I don't know what I'll do. I agree with the cold weather and Christmas music. I was shocked when I turned on the radio the other day. Tell Elle I'm sorry and I hope she feels better. She so cute!