Monday, November 24, 2008

O Holy Night

So last night I finally got around to using some of the iTunes money I got for my birthday last February (Thanks Campbells and Kolowichs!) I decided what I really need is some Christmas music and I got really excited looking for all of the music I wanted to add to our iPods. It was so fun to think about my favorite Christmas song, look it up, and find fifty different versions of it and pick my favorite one. This was my first experience in buying music on iTunes. Wow, I can see how one could go overboard and buys tons of songs. THEY HAVE EVERYTHING!! You can get all sorts of songs.

The best was my search for the perfect version of O Holy Night. I was looking for a version performed by a man, but I'm not too fond of the Josh Groban version that's always played on the radio. (It's fine, but he doesn't even sing the 3rd verse, which of course is the best verse). There's always the Michael Crawford version, but as I have mentioned before on this blog, I just can't get over the fact that when I hear him sing I only hear the voice of the Phantom of the Opera.

Imagine my joy when I discovered that Michael Ball has a version of O Holy Night. And it is BEAUTIFUL (as is everything sung by him). I am not a swooner of movie stars; I don't get all crazy about attractive models or celebrities. It's just not me. I'm not into it. But I tell you what, I LOVE Michael Ball's voice. It is simply the most powerful, beautiful, passionate one out there. He sings the part of Marius on my recording of Les Miserables and he is amazing. I am so excited to have his version O Holy Night. If you are thinking of expanding your Christmas music collection, no question, hands down, you need this song.

1 comment:

Dianah said...

Sorry Shelly, I don't know who Michael Ball is, but I love "O Holy Night." I guess I'll have too "google" him and figure out who he is. Enjoy your new music.