My week as far as health concerns go was a rough one. It started Tuesday morning with yet another appointment with my ob-gyn to figure out why my incision from my c-section hasn't healed yet. We ended up cauterizing the last little unhealed spot with silver nitrate hoping that was going to be the end of it. Instead, the next morning I had a much larger open wound that was oozing clear fluid.
I was devastated when I got in to see my doctor yesterday (Thursday). What is wrong with me? Why can't I just heal like any other normal woman? It's been almost 12 weeks now. I should be just fine. I should have a lovely scar and that's it. Instead, I have this gaping open wound that just does not seem to want to close up.
My devastation only increased when the doctor decided it would be a good idea to take a blood sample just to make sure I don't have diabetes. That was perhaps the biggest blow. I could handle taking a long time to heal, but being told that is was possible that I might have diabetes was almost too much to handle. I called Matt in almost hysterical tears on the way home from the doctor.
I suppose some background information is helpful here. There is a lengthy history of diabetes in my family. My Dad has type II and so did his Dad. I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with Ellie, but I was able to control it with diet, no insulin. That's when I got a real glimpse into what it's like to be diabetic, and I knew I wanted to do everything possible to avoid getting it in the future.
I worked really hard to lose all of the baby weight I gained with Ellie and I exercised all through Annie's pregnancy - and was rewarded by not being diagnosed with gestational diabetes with Annie. So to be told that less than three months after Annie's birth that I might have diabetes was overwhelmingly disappointing. I have worked so hard to prevent getting this disease and I was absolutely devastated to think that I had failed in my efforts. I'm just so young to be diagnosed with type II diabetes.
However, I just got the best news ever. The results are back from my blood test and everything is fine. I do not have diabetes. I'm so grateful. And my incision is looking a little better too. It turned out that I had a small infection that was preventing it from healing. The doctor cleaned it out and hopefully I'm on the mend.
I am, of course, soberly aware of the fact that my body has great difficulty healing. (I had similar issues with Ellie's birth, only it took a full year to get better). But I am happy that for the time being all of my hard work to avoid a diabetes diagnosis seems to paying off. I'm not in the clear yet, but it was a real blessing for me to get the call from my doctor today.
6 comments:
Sometimes our bodies just don't cooperate with us, huh?! I am very glad to hear you don't have diabetes. That is wonderful news! I didn't realize you were having issues with healing...let me know if you ever need anything. -Julie
The diabetes scare is a big one as it's a 'lifer'. I had gestational diabetes with Cami, although it tetered on borderline. I hated all the tests but I was strict with myself to no sugar. My mom has borderline as well and has to control it with her diet but my grandpa and his family all have it and it goes way back too. Thank goodness for the word of wisdom - moderation in all things :)
That is really scary! I am glad it wasn't anything too serious. I hope you heal up soon. 12 weeks is way too long.
That is wonderful news Shelly. I am glad that your hard work has paid off, and that you are now healing nicely!
xoxo,
C
HI. . .I am so sorry. .. You don't know me and this is a personal blog entry to comment on, too. . .but, I am friends with Sabrina and saw your blog and I know some astles, so I came to check it out. .and, and, and. BUT, I had a hard time healing with my stitches, also, and with my second baby was given a synthetic stitch, instead of "cat gut" stitches. (yes, that is what they're called. Ich. It's the standard material used in most hospitals.) It took me 5 months to heal from a natural birth with my first and when the doctor used the synthetic stitches with my second baby I didn't even FEEL them! BIG BIG BIG difference! So, forgive the intrusion on your blog, but I hope that that information can help with your next baby.
Good luck with all!
Emmy
How is the healing coming?
Post a Comment