So as I mentioned last week that when we attempted to have Ellie sleep on a big bed in the hotel, she fell in the middle of the night. A big crash broke us from our hard earned sleep. I ran over to the other bed to find Ellie on the floor. She said her foot hurt. So I gave it a kiss and asked her if she could go back to bed. She did with no problem so I figured she just landed on it weird, but that she would be fine.
The next day she seemed to be fine - she didn't complain about anything hurting her, but she would only walk on the toe of her left foot not the ankle. As you may recall, last summer she fell wrong on the stairs and I took her the doctor within two hours of it happening and was practically laughed out of the office because it was just fine. So I was hesitant to get too worked up about this fall because I figured if her foot was really hurt she wouldn't walk on it and she also wouldn't let me rotate it, as I began doing just to be sure. I decided that if she was still walking like a gimp a week later, we would go to the doctor.
Well, she was still a gimp when we took Annie to her 2 month well checkup so I mentioned Ellie's fall to the doctor. He gave me a prescription for an x-ray and sure enough they said there was a possible fracture. We ended up at a pediatric orthopaedic surgeon who confirmed it - a fractured tibia (leg bone right where it meets the ankle). She gave us the option of a cast, but since it will heal on its own, I opted against it. I just knew it would be a pain for Ellie. But now I feel like a slacker mom. But really I don't know how I could have done it differently. She didn't claim to be hurt, she was totally fine running and walking, she just did it with a little limp. Oh well, what do you do?
Fortunately, she is going to be just fine. We go back to the orthopaedic surgeon in two weeks to make sure that she makes a full recovery. But I have to hand it to Ellie - she's been a real trooper with the whole thing and was so brave when she got her x-rays done (both times!) She really liked the shield she got to wear and the stickers she got at the end. And it was cute to hear her repeat after to me several times "Oh no, broken toe." Her first broken bone at the tender age of two - oh no, indeed. I guess we might wait a while for a big bed.
3 comments:
When my sister was little, she broke her arm. It took my mom a month to take her to the doctor. She got a cast, and everything turned out fine, but oh, did my mom feel like an awful mother... hopefully that makes you feel a little better... somehow...
That is way sad. I thought I saw her limping when she was at our house. Good job with the x-rays. My kids are always traumatized by those.
You're still a good mother. After all, if she is not wearing a cast and it is going to heal on its own, the doctor only confirmed that she is hurt. But you should get a gold star for taking her to the doctor!
Post a Comment