It's been a slow process; one that has elapsed overtime. When I first discovered that I was expecting my first baby girl I knew what I wanted - a world that wasn't overwhelmed by pink. Now, to be clear, I like pink. There is nothing wrong with pink, it's a fine color. It's certainly better than orange - which I think is the worse color on the planet - unless it's on dry leaves or a pumpkin. Anyway, I like pink. But I feel that the baby girl world has been so saturated with pink that we somehow forget that there are other feminine colors.
So at the beginning I tried to avoid using pink. I bought reds, yellows, purples - mostly purple. And I shunned pink. But some things are out of my control. We were given many pink things; sometimes (actually most times) there aren't any non-pink options; and dang it all if I didn't have a little girl who really likes pink. After almost three years, I have admitted that there is a lot of pink hanging around our house and you know what, it doesn't bother me. I like it. I still believe that purple is under appreciated; and red has been overtaken by the boy world (it really is the feminine color I like most, just ask my wardrobe); but I've decided that my battle with pink has been lost.
This was finally realized when I purchased a new pair of shoes for Annie today. They were pink, because yet again, there were no other non-pink options. I avoided buying them for days. They were the right size, right style, why did they have to be pink? What I really wanted was a great kahki shoe, but no the only khaki shoe was clearly a boy shoe. So pink it is. And I am not going to give pink the satisfaction of stewing another moment about it.
2 comments:
You would loathe my daughter's room. It is chocolate brown...and pink (as the accent). :) Pink was my fav color growing up and it was so much easier to decorate her room due to the variety of pink objects.
But you are right. The world of pink has been taken up a notch..even grown men wear pink.
Don't you know pink is the new black? :)
Sarah has a ton of pink too, but I don't mind because she looks good in it!
Post a Comment