Monday, December 01, 2008

Black Friday

I am in desperate need of updating my wardrobe, which is years old and wearing away. So I decided to have my first Black Friday shopping experience. At first, I wasn't planning to go too early in the morning. I figured I'd go around 8am. But as it turned out, Annie woke everyone screaming at 4am. By the time we got her quieted down, it was nearly 5am and I was wide awake - so I headed off to my favorite store, Old Navy. I arrived about 3 minutes before the store opened and while there were probably about 100 people, it really wasn't so bad. In fact, because I made three lengthy trips to the dressing room, the check out line was empty when I got there. I figured this wasn't as bad as I had heard about.

Then I went to Kohls. You know it's bad when the parking lot (which is usually empty) is completely packed. A woman parked next to me who was just leaving said "Good luck, the lines are brutal." She wasn't kidding. So I decided to use my same strategy at Old Navy. I made several trips to the dressing room and took my time shopping, figuring that the line would die down. Boy was I wrong, it was still crazy long. (Fortunately, it wasn't any longer than when I first walked into the store).

By the time I was ready to check out, I had found the perfect black dress (you know for Matt's office Christmas party, etc). I have been wanting one for years, but have always failed in finding one that was modest, but didn't make me look fat. Not only that, this dress was the last one in my size and under $50. I was invested. I was going to endure the line. I think I stood in line an hour and a half!* What a mess!

Boy am I glad those were the only two stores I planned to go to. I got home and Matt watched the girls while I took a very needed nap. All in all, I think my first Black Friday experience went as good as could be expected. But I don't know if I would do it again, except for maybe new clothes. And since it seems that I update my wardrobe only every 3-4 years, I have a little bit of time until my next Black Friday venture.

*Why, oh why did I forget the earphones to my iPod!?!?!?! I was bored out of my mind. What a rookie mistake!

2 comments:

Joni said...

I can't believe that was your first Black Friday experience. I love that day! I know...I'm crazy. Of course, I go with my mom and sisters and it is a total bonding experience. I can't wait for next year!

Dianah said...

last year was my first Black Friday shopping experience and I too went to Kohls. I stood in line while Michael shopped. I don't remember how long I was in line, but I do remember that the ends of both lines touched each other. I couldn't believe that the lines had wrapped around that huge store!!