If there is one skill that I developed while living in Cambridge, MA that I am really grateful for it's the ability to parallel park really well. I was pretty much forced to learn. We had two cars and only on street parking and there are a lot of cars and not a lot of spaces to park in Cambridge. It was not uncommon for us to park 5-8 blocks away from our house on any given night. And when our cars got buried in the huge blizzard in 2005, we left Matt's car buried in snow for a month. Anyway, it didn't take long for me to get really good at parallel parking. I could see a spot, eyeball it to make sure it was large enough to fit my car and pull in with one try. Heck I could do it with less than a foot left in front and behind me. Oh yeah.
Thankfully I don't use this skill as much anymore. But it still comes in handy, especially when I am downtown. Like today, I decided to take the girls down to the National American History Museum and snagged an awesome parking spot right on Constitution Ave that was free parking for three hours. Sweet! And yes, there was a lot of traffic and the spot was a little tight, but it took me one try and it was smooth like butter.
So thank you, Cambridge. Thank you.
No comments:
Post a Comment